Sunday, June 10, 2007

PINCH ME...NOW!!!!

last saturday was weird...

I was invited by my cousin "pebi" to go DVD hunting and she suggested Quiapo as a suitable "hunting ground" for pirated DVDs. And so we set out in search of our respective targets: Pebi is a film afficionado and was on the prowl for European/Spanish films, while I on the other hand was looking for anime and my favorite series (Heroes, Battlestar Galactica).

Being lost within the maze of streets and buildings around Quiapo gave me a rare opportunity to visit some of the sites that I only get to see on TV or read about in books. But this was no 5 cent tour...we were just skimming through the different places (our primary objective after all was DVD hunting - priorities, priorities...). I was getting a feel of the place in anticipation of a return visit...

passing by Quiapo church I got a glimpse of the marketplace around the vicinity of the church with all the pito-pito and the pamparegla (note: abortion formula) being peddled by old ladies. The mass of people going to and fro was huge and you have to be extra careful because among the masses are the usual mandurukots prowling around searching for their prey (the hunter becomes the hunted...)

and so we got into the business of purchasing our DVDs. Unfortunately for pebi, it seems that the films she was searching for were eluding her. I, on the other hand, can't seem to decide which among the countless anime I should purchase. I could've reduced myself to abject poverty but fortunately I was able to rein in my desire to indulge in a buying frenzy. So I was just content with a few purchases, consoling myself that there will always be another day to prowl the DVD stalls in Quiapo.

Now, since Intramuros is just around the corner...hehehe

This was the part of the trip I was looking forward to more than the DVDs. To get a chance to go around the old sections of Manila and hopefully see some of the sites that I had read about in the history books. Pinch me...I must be dreaming...

Just imagine, we were walking along the old kalyes, surrounded by the classic bahay-na-batos...when suddenly we were approached by the guardia civil...

They were just men dressed up as guardia civil, more tour guide than police force. And unlike the original guardias...these men were, well...civil. One of them answered our queries when we were asking for directions to Fort Santiago.

BUT BEFORE THAT...pebi and I had the chance to visit San Agustin Church. Although we didn't enter the museum itself (kamahal sang entrance fee) we had the chance to admire the architecture of the facade of the church. And my search for a comfort room finally came to an end...

Pinch me...I must be dreaming...I am surrounded by the landmarks of the Spanish Period in the Philippines, one of the most interesting periods in Philippine History...that, and a kalesa just happened to pass by...

We finally arrived at the entrance to Fort Santiago but we had to cut our little tour short because it was already too hot for comfort and entering Fort Santiago one had to walk a looong way (I'm not that excited. Not yet anyway...). Just a glimpse of these places was more than enough to give me goosebumps...and I look forward to the second trip to Quiapo and Intramuros. Promise...masulod na gid ko ah, supot-supot anay for the entrance fee...hehehe

Stand Alone v 1.02

1 comment:

Bluesolstice said...

hello mike...
i got blogger too!
http://bayenn.blogspot.com

link me up.