Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Amen to That

Why do I read?...I read because I only have one life and much as I love it, I don’t like the limitation. So I read books, especially novels, for the extra lives. By my reckoning, a good novel is an extra life lived. I’ve never fled Moscow at the approach of Napoleon’s army, but I know what that’s like. As a child I never met an escaped prisoner at a graveyard and helped him get away, but I know what that’s like. I didn’t personally fight in the Trojan War, figure out a way to end it, then spend ten years meeting cyclops, sirens, witches who turned my crew into swine, before getting home, but I remember the experience as if I’d lived it. That’s why I read books.

from Jessica Zafra's latest blog post.

A Partial List of my fave books:

1. "It" by Stephen King
2. "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair
3. "Iliad" by Virgil
4. "La Divina Comedia" by Dante
5. The Tragedies of Euripides - most fave: "Trojan Women"
6. The Old Testament - for the sex and violence, and also -- the Biblical lessons. oh...
7. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolien
8. The Silmarillion by Tolkien
9. "1984" by Orson Welles
10. "Animal Farm" by Welles
11. "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad - until now this book still intimidates me...

Why do I read? Because it's the only economical (and possible) way I can tour the whole world and travel back in time.

No comments: