Sunday, March 8, 2009

"The Velvety Ones"

I discovered this Latin American band a long time ago, searching for songs for my Span 10 class. Never got around to featuring them here, thus:

One of the first latin rock bands in Colombia, Los Aterciopelados is one of the Latin American country's top groups. The recipients of Grammy award nominations in 1997 and 1998, the band has fused its own sound by combining a rock-solid approach with a variety of Latin American musical traditions including mariachi, bolero, tropical and flamenco. The last two studio albums, Caribe Atomico and Gozo Poderoso have a definite hip-hop feel to them, whereas earlier albums were influenced more by hard rock and punk. from www.rockero.com

Sampling their songs, I immediately fell in love with the whimsical, fanciful, and slighty-bangag musical creations. Reminds me somewhat of Moonpools and Caterpillars or Belly...



Apparently Youtube now is concerned with copyright issues and has disabled embedding for videos featuring copyrighted content. But I still managed to grab ahold of these...



Live Performance of "Mujer Gala" (fine/elegant woman). Cute ng vocalist. hahaha



Thanks to 6 units of Spanish, I can now understand about 50% of whatever Spanish text I'm reading. I'm still having a hard time translating song lyrics as I hear them, even spoken Spanish, as Spanish-speakers generally talk like machine guns -- ratatatatatat! hehe

BTW, I'm surviving in my Span 11. The final exam's coming in two weeks...buena suerte a mi...

No comments: