Friday, June 27, 2008

Books to Buy, Borrow, and Read Before you Die

1984 by George Orwell. Enlightening yet depressing. The book is full of ironies and paradoxes that strangely make sense if you apply doublethink. hehe Here is a book where a person's declaration of love becomes a metaphor for the death of one's soul. A lot of the things described in the book rings true in real life, which is unfortunate. If you want to get a glimpse of a "Negative Utopia" or a "Dystopia", read this book. Oh, by the the way, I LOVE BIG BROTHER.

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I think nagparamdam ang librong ito sakin. Last Wednesday when Eli and I were browsing around the book stalls at the AS Walk, I saw a copy of this VERY thick book (about 800 pages)and I remarked to Eli that I had read the book in high school. It took me three weeks to finish reading it. Yesterday, while I was strolling around SM North I happened to pass by the Booksale stall and I found the same book among their stacks selling for only P140. The rest is history, 'ika nga...The book is a feminist reimagination of the Arthurian Legends so any of you wants to hear the "other voice" in the Arthurian legends better read this book.

No comments: