Friday, June 13, 2008

"Visita Biblioteca"*

My Kas 110 class is an interesting mix of students. Many of my former classmates from my previous courses like Kas 10, Kas 199, Kas 112 and Kas 111 were also my classmates in Kas 110. This reunion of sorts is a bit fitting since Kas 110 will be the last undergraduate course I will be taking.

Kas 110 also marked my reunion with Eleazar, a former classmate from Kas 112. He had been gone for the past sem but now he's back and he's as rak-en-roll as ever hahaha If Kas 112 was any indication of things to come, I am looking forward to an interesting sem with him as my seatmate.

Our prof was unable to meet us but we were assigned to read O.D. Corpuz' 'The Roots of the Filipino Nation'. What was first a foray into the Main Library to look for said book became a pilgrimage of sorts, as Eleazar wanted to gain an advantage over our other classmates. (competition raw ito) Since magsisiksikan kaming lahat sa Main Lib, why not go to the other libraries where the book was available and borrow the book from there? Our search on the online catalog yielded several prospects. It was a race kuno...

And so we went off in search of our required reading material. Our first stop was the Asian Center where I happened to meet Regina who was coming out of her class at the Center. Our search for Corpuz at the AC was fruitless; but the next-door Islamic Studies Library yielded a copy of Corpuz. Unfortunately, only one copy of the book was available for borrowing so I graciously (naks) yielded to Eleazar.

Our continuing search for other copies of Corpuz took us to the Law Library. Unfortunately, like the AC, the book was nowhere to be found. Eleazar, on the other hand, was on a lucky streak as he found another book that caught his fancy -- '100 Events that Shaped Philippine History' and decided to borrow it. Mas maraming puntos si Eli kesa sakin ah...

Our strolling around became an opportunity for Eleazar and I to get into some discussions. Random topics evenetually gave way to Eli giving me a lecture on the sociology of punk rock and its influence on Philippine rock music. I found out that we shared a few things in common: The Sex Pistols and David Bowie...

Our final stop was back at the Main Library. Final proof that Friday the 13th isn't my lucky day -- all the on-shelf books were now borrowed. I'll just have to make do with the reserved books at the Social Sciences Section. But then, there's still the libraries of the College of Education, School of Economics, Third World Studies Center, Center of Public Administration...haha masayang paghahanap na naman ito...

My 'unlucky' day got better when Eleazar and I decided to have coffee at the food stalls outside the Main Lib. Technically, Eli had coffee. I had iced tea and hamburger. Snacks gave way to a chance meeting with Regina and Ate Lualhati, my fellow MA students. Kamustahan and kwentuhan among old acquaintances commenced. After a bit of chit-chat Eli and I went our separate ways and I strolled with Ate Lu and Regina toward Sanggumay Hall where Ate Lu was staying. Old acquaintances parted ways with plans of another stroll -- this time in UP Los Baños -- and promises to keep in touch during breaks in our MA classes.

*a variation of visita iglesia -- in this case, libraries ang tinungo namin

No comments: