Sunday, August 10, 2008

For Pipoy

Hala...gin-debut ko ang blog mo di dason awayon ta ka? hehehe

Seriously, I would just like to offer my 2 cents (kung may bili pa ang dos centimos hehe) on one of the topics that you've touched upon in your most recent blog post. Let's engage in a friendly tete-a-tete (pronounce it like the French do para indi bastos ang gwa) and I do hope that if you'll indulge me my opinion, we'd launch on an enlightening discourse. In short, fun lang walang personalan hehe

ON THE SONA: Truth be told, I haven't heard it nor seen it on the TV, I've read the transcript online but its the same old bullshit. I was told that Mini-me would often pause and await applause at 'strategic' moments during her speech...the only comment I have to that is KAPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!

ON THE GRP-MILF deal: I don't know if the GRP knows the meaning of "sovereignty" and "national integrity"...going through the terms of the agreement daw kulang na lang ribbon kag giftwrapper ang ibutang nila sa teritoryo nga ihatag sa MILF. I don't begrudge the Bangsamoro and our Muslim brothers their heritage, and I could even sympathize with their desire to secede - if not have a considerably "freer" say with regard to territorial rights and self-governance over the area they deem as "ancestral domain". Muslim rights to their fatherland (or motherland?) is a very touchy issue - especially here in peyups. One noted prof in the History Department was even (verbally) accosted for his innocent comment regarding the Moros. Having said all that, our government is so f*cked up that it's no wonder the Moros want to secede, given that they've endured years of neglect in their respective areas. If the Moros secede, then what is to stop the Cebuanos, the Ilonggos, the Negrenses from jumping ship? Given that the ship is leaking and decrepit hay naku mag-uunahan na lang tayo sa pagtalon with our lifesavers (autonomy? independence?)?

ON BIRTH CONTROL: now THIS is where I put forth my dissenting view. I believe that the problem of rapid population growth, coupled with scarce resources should be viewed not only through the perspective of morality (i.e. the view of the Catholic Church). I do hope you've discussed (or will discuss) Malthus' view in your Econ class which was the rage during the 19th century. A century hence and we see the great strides in science and technology. These, hopefully, would be the balancing force to even out the scarcity and the increasing human population. But there are still stark reminders that the world does not necessarily reflect the ideals of fairness, especially if you consider that we're talking about economic forces here. There are still people in want, there are still those living their lives in abject poverty; then you see the vast difference between people belonging to different social classes, the wide expanse between the "developed and industrial" nations and the so-called "third world or developing" nations.

Any stand of any institution should not be made in a vacuum - all points and perspectives should be considered so that a reasonable solution to the problem could be arrived at. What I am driving at is that it is unreasonable for the Church, especially here in the Philippines, to ignore reproductive health practices as an OPTION for the masses. The Church's stance robs the people of their own personal, private choice on reproduction because let's face it if God's wrath would descend on people who do not keep His Commandments (or the Church's interpretation of them) then the population problem would be nonexistent because a LOT of people would be stricken dead with lighting or pestilence or whatever. Not that I'm implying that God is impotent, but you get the point...

I heard a sermon during a previous Sunday mass regarding this issue. Though I do not fully agree with it, there is one point that the cura made which, in my view, is one ray of hope that the Catholic Church can provide. Padre said that scarcity is an illusion (a fact I do not agree with, as a former teacher of economics) because there is a lot of resources to go around. The only problem is how to equitably distribute these resources so that there will be enough to go around (at this point I was going like: 'interesting...go on Father...'). The key, according to Father, is if we as Christians are willing to step up and do our part, to share what we have with those who are in need. The priest gave as an example the relief efforts for the recent typhoon victims - that despite hard times, people are still willing, and are able to give to their fellow men - is this not a refutation of the fear of scarcity? (at this point, I was quietly nodding my head in assent)

That is something I could agree with. But just like the Church offering to lend its hand to address these troubled times, I do hope that it would not disregard the efforts of the government (for all its worth) in providing an avenue for people to make an informed choice with regard to their decision of increasing or limiting the size of their families. For the Church to spurn the government's initiative in this regard, I believe, is an unfortunate action which only exacerbates the problem.

Phew! ginbalhas man ko bah...teh, Peace whatchutink? If you want to give your violent reaction, please make it as a post on your blog. Looking forward to the lively discussion...

No comments: