Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Hindi ako si Michael Tan

Weird day today. Weirdly funny, irritating and also weirdly nice.

?

Just this morning I met with two hyper-MassCom students. They were bugging me since last night, asking for an interview on "the history of Pottery in Pasig." I had an inkling that they were barking up the wrong tree but nevertheless, I conceded to meet them so I could get to the bottom of the matter.

In the middle of my Spanish exam, my cellphone suddenly sprang to life - vibrating incessantly in my pocket. Despite several attempts to reject the call, the anonymous caller was persistent. Punyetang caller na 'to...I had to step outside for a few minutes and take the call. It was one of the hyper MC kids who contacted me last night. In short, terse phrases I reiterated that we were set for the meeting at 2 pm and then I quickly hung up and went back to deciphering the mess that was my Span exam...

hay naku...mapapa "Ay Caramba!" ka sa exam namin sa Span. Ewan ko kung ano ang kahihinatnan nun. haha

The set meeting with the hyper-MC kids was at Sir Castro's office at Palma Hall. Opening lines pa lang ng mga bata alam ko nang mali ang pakay nila saken...

HyperMC kid: "Sir, bilang isang propesor ng antropolohiya sa UP ano po ba ang masasabi mo tungkol sa blah-blah-blah kasaysayan ng pagpapalayok sa Pasig blah-blah-blah..."

Ditch: "aaaah...mukhang may miscommunication or misunderstanding tayo..."

I clarified that my connection to the Anthropology Department was only as a student of Prof. Castro in a graduate class. I am also not employed as a professor as I still am a graduate student - of HISTORY. I told the HyperMC kids that if they wanted an expert they should interview Prof. Castro or ask the Anthropology Department chair, Mr. Michael Tan, to which the Hyper MC kid asked...

"Hindi po kayo si Sir Michael Tan?"

To which I replied...

"Michael ang pangalan ko, but I am not a Michael Tan..."

HyperMC Kid: "Kasi akala po namin yung number na ibinigay sa amin kay Mr. Michael Tan po eh..."

Ditch: (exasperated) "Darling, I'm just the guy mounting photos for the exhibit, OKAY? Now, begone from my presence! Marami pa akong gagawin!"

hahaha joke lang yung last remark. Hindi ko na sila tinarayan kasi parang narealize din nila ang katangahan nila. They just mumbled their apologies, saying that they should have "confirmed their sources" prior to meeting for an interview.

I was thinking: Duh?! Sige na...humayo na kayo't may mga deadline pa tayong hinahabol...

Now if only they had the common sense to ask this question FIRST last night:

Ditch: (nasa gitna ng paglamon ng kanyang pagkain sa UP Coop Canteen) Hello?

HyperMC Kid (who's confirming her source): Good Evening po, is this Prof. Michael Tan of UP Anthro Department?

Ditch: Sorry, wrong number...(quickly hangs up. patuloy ang paglamon)

TAPOS ANG PROBLEMA!

In other news:

Nilibre kami ni Ma'am Camagay ng pizza sa Kas 208 namin. hehehe

No comments: