Thursday, March 13, 2008

Wham-Bham-Thank You Batasan

I was back again at the House of Representatives tying up some of the loose ends in my historical research. Good thing that the materials are located at the more accessible H of R library. The place hasn't changed much in the few months I have been away...though repairs were already started on the South Entrance of the Complex -- a victim of a bomb explosion last year. Aside from the repairs being implemented, everything was where it should be...

There were a few people in the Batasan Complex today, no impromptu car show in the parking lot -- no Porsches, Lamborghinis, Jaguars, Lexus cars lying around...

I quickly made my way into the Mitra building and was about to approach the security officer at the entrance when I saw him busy with something, talking to another guy. Then a rapid succession of gunfire was heard...turned out he was testing out a rifle -- an M16 maybe -- but there were no bullets, the sound was just the gas action of the rifle being set to semi-automatic fire. No reaction on my part, since the actual sounds where muffled by the covering of the rifle. Plus I didn't see an actual rifle so all these descriptions are at best conjecture...careful...hehe

After being given my visitor's pass I made my way to the elevators. though the library was on the second floor I decided to take the elevator ride because it was way more cooler than ascending the flight of stairs -- which at that time had a squad of maintenance personnel conducting cleaning operations.

At the library, I proceeded with my data gathering. It only took less than ten minutes for me to accomplish my task inside the library. After a quick check of the information I gained -- mostly citation information like dates of publication of the books I used in my research -- I quickly made my getaway from Batasan...

Faster than a speeding bullet, I proceeded to exit the premises of the Batasan Complex...outside the main gate, I stood on the smoke-filled sidewalk, awaiting the jeepney that would conduct me back to UP...

No comments: