Thursday, May 22, 2008

Respite, Reflections

I have just passed my final paper for Kas 297. It was a moment to reunite with my classmates -- some of whom I won't be seeing again. One thing I've learned in graduate studies is that acquaintances are often fleeting. From what I could observe based on my limited exposure to graduate classes (Kas 297 was my first graduate course), it is rare for MA students to share a lot of classes.

Looking back at my first school year in UP, I marvel at the 'uniqueness' of the experience that I have had. I often joke that my first year here in UP was my 'feeling freshman' year since I and a few other MA students had to take 18 units of undergraduate classes. So I found myself mixed up with the graduates and the freshies, and the oldies hehe. But the experience enabled me to gain a few friends and have a glimpse of the world that is UP.

We were strangers sharing the initial experience of the academic environment of UP. We bore the brunt of readings, researches, critiques, and exams. We lent each other words of concern, silent encouragement, friendly opinions and critiques. In a sense, we were each molding each other to become better...

But the stark realities of life soon meant that some of my MA 'batchmates' would bid farewell to graduate studies. The first to go were jorgette (jet) and kathy. Bert and Kristelle were unable to continue during the second semester.

But departures often give way to new opportunities. New personalities would soon come into the picture and into my life here in UP. From simple seatmates during second semester Kas 199.2 class, I soon found myself a member of a clique consisting of Ate Dayang, Ate Luwalhati, Regina, Jun, Carlo and Ate Angie.

Ate Dayang quit her PhD studies for the time being while Jun, as far as I could tell, just plain quit. Regina became a sort of surrogate younger sister to me, I consider myself her 'cheering squad' -- often yelling "No more I-N-C! No more I-N-C!" -- moderating her prodigal ways hehehe. Regina is currently undecided whether she is to continue with her studies. Carlo was the epitome of the young teacher when I first met him and we often exchange 'war stories.'I often commisserate with his hardships. I expect him to be back this semester, hopeully...

The one relationship that bore fruit was with Ate Angie. From seatmate, to part-time confidante, enrollment assistant -- now I am godfather to her second child. Nagka-ihado ko di sa Manila -- no, not in Manila -- in Kalinga! :) But I won't call her Kumare, nasanay na ako sa Ate Angie hehe

But aside from the adventures of establishing inter-personal relations, other challenges came my way too. I have been on this roller-coaster ride of experiences in this whole new world that is the University of the Philippines. Like the blog pic suggests, it seems that I have strayed into a wormhole and got shot into some far-flung region of the universe.

Having survived here for a year might mean that I'm made of sterner stuff indeed. But I always have this caveat tacked onto my mind that I should never, ever be complacent given that so far my grades have been a parade of 1's (1-point-somethings ah hehe). The fact that I have gained my first INC here means that this is already a new playground. The professors here mean business. And brilliant people could still --and do -- fail in UP.

What I can say is that this one year has been a turning point in my life. And the richness of the experiences I have had here, for better or for worse, have given me new personal insights as well as realizations regarding life in general. It would seem that I came here to study History but I learned so much more...

And so as I handed in my Kas 297 paper, It's as if I am closing one chapter of this experience, this Stand Alone Complex, and I now await for the next episode to unfold.

There will be new challenges. There will be new opportunities. There will be more moments of joys, sadness, stress, worries, and triumphs. Life goes on...

This is My Stand Alone Complex on it's Second Gig...

No comments: